Periodontal disease is a serious infection under your gumline.
ARESTIN® (minocycline hydrochloride) is an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes the infection.
- It’s placed directly in the infected areas—or “pockets”—in your gums.
- It’s applied right after scaling and root planing, the dental procedure that disrupts stubborn plaque and bacteria below your gum line—where brushing and flossing can’t reach.
ARESTIN® starts working quickly, right at the source of infection, and keeps fighting bacteria long after you leave the dental office. 1,2
ARESTIN® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days,2 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planning alone for up to 90 days.3
Our approach to Arestin will be based upon symptoms and presentation of the disease. Most often, there will be a scaling and root planning performed, a periodontal re-evaluation 4 to 6 weeks after, and if areas remain moderately diseased, then Arestin will be used in those diseased sites. Patients on periodontal maintenance may receive Arestin in their problem sites as well.
Imagine Smiling With the Radiance of a Beautiful Smile!
Call Us Now to Find a Smile You'll Be Happy to Show Off!
1. Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
2. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
3. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.